Here is a list of references, resources, and additional information relating to the presentation for Don’t Discard the Y-STRs:
- Genetic Homeland Tools
- The Big Tree, YTree.Net by Alex Williamson
- YFull SNP List
Testing companies which offer both STR and SNP tests as Distinct Products.
- Gene By Gene, Ltd. doing business as Family Tree DNA (aka FTDNA)
- Y-Seq (Alpha-Beta Panel has 37 STRs)
Testing companies which do full genome (including Y-chromosome Next-Gen sequencing) by which SNPs and STRs may be determined from raw data with 3rd party tools.
Academic References and Other Sources
- Robert Sanders (2011) Are cancers newly evolved species? , UC Berkeley, Berkeley News
- Taylor Edwards (2006) presentation “Laboratory Procedures, 2006” at the 2nd International Conference on Genetic Genealogy
- Yang et al (2014) Application of Next-generation Sequencing Technology in Forensic Science, DOI 10.1016/j.gpb.2014.09.001
- FTDNA (2014) Introduction to the BigY White Paper
- Zavodna et al (2014) The Accuracy, Feasibility and Challenges of Sequencing Short Tandem Repeats Using Next-Generation Sequencing Platforms, PLOS One 9(12): e113862 DOI 10.1371/journal.pone.0113862
- Darby et al (2016), Digital fragment analysis of short tandem repeats by high-throughput amplicon sequencing. DOI 10.1002/ece3.2221
- Payseur and Cutter (2006) Integrating patterns of polymorphisms at SNPs and STRs
- David Wilson et al R-M222 and Subclades DNA Project
- Brad Larkin (2016) Larkin DNA Project 2016 Update
- Illustration – Human Genome – 23 Pairs of Chromosomes + mtDNA illustration in Butler JM (2005) Forensics DNA Typing 2nd Edition Figure 2.3, Elsevier Science Academic Press
- Illustration – DNA Replication by Mariana Ruiz on WikiMedia Commons. Note that while some of the finer details of the process may not be accurate in the diagram, the image conveys the idea that the double-helix structure of DNA is subject to mutations during replication or meiosis.
Illustrations of Trends and Findings in Y-Chromosome Genetic Genealogy in 2017
STR Samples by Year
Based on year of sample submission and whether it has been tested for Y-STRs.
Number of STR Markers Tested
Histogram of STR Variance
Example within those confirmed with M222 positive SNP and how their variance at STR marker DYS390 using data from R-M222 and Subclades DNA Project.
Histogram of SNP Subclades
Example within those confirmed with M222 positive SNP with histogram showing distribution of those lineages at Y-SNP markers classified as immediately below M222 on the current Y-chromosome phylogenetic tree.