“Which DNA test should I get?” is a common question posed to genealogists. This session will explain the three major types of DNA tests with a focus on Y-DNA. Costs and benefits of the various Y-DNA test options will be weighed. Most importantly, the Big Y-700 DNA test will be examined in terms of costs, markers tested, genealogy case studies, and privacy concerns.
Here is a list of references, resources, and additional information relating to the presentation for Why get the Big Y DNA Test?:
- Wikipedia, List of countries by population (United Nations).
- Wikipedia, Countries of the United Kingdom by population.
- Wikipedia, World Map of Y-DNA Haplogroups
Image by Chakazul 2013 https://commons.wikimedia.org/w/index.php?title=File:World_Map_of_Y-DNA_Haplogroups.png&oldid=333927556
- Family Tree DNA (2019), Big Y Results Matching in FTDNA Learning Center. Retrieved 11:00, January 30, 2019.
- Family Tree DNA, [Big Y-700] Big Y Whitepaper by Davis, Sager, et al. (22 Mar 2019)
- Family Tree DNA, [Original] Big Y Whitepaper (August 2014)
- Family Tree DNA (2019), Y-DNA Haplotree public tool.
- Thomas Krahn’s YSeq Laboratory for STR, SNP, and WGS testing
- Full Genomes Corp for lowest cost sequencing (performed in China)
- YFull DNA Interpretation Services (Russia)
- Michael F Hammer et al as the Y Chromosome Consortium in “A Nomenclature System for the Tree of Human Y-Chromosomal Binary Haplogroups” in Genome Research journal 12:339-348 by Cold Spring Harbor Laboratory Press, www.genome.org.
- B. Charlesworth (2003), The organization and evolution of the human Y chromosome, in Genome Biology, 4:226, BioMed Central Ltd.
- Khan Academy, Building a phylogenetic tree (2015).
- Genealogy of Jesus of Nazareth, The Bible, Book of Mathew, Chapter 1, published by The International Bible Society.
- GeneticHomeland.com (2019), DNA Marker Index
- GeneticHomeland.com (2019), DNA Ancestral Pedigree Tree.
- Skaletsky et al (2003), The male-specific region of the Y chromosome is a mosaic of discreet sequence classes, Nature, Vol 423,
- Family Tree DNA, Why Family Tree DNA?, About The Family Tree DNA Database,
Irish Mapping DNA Project at Family Tree DNA, Project Statistics,
- International Society of Genetic Genealogy, Wiki, Y-DNA SNP testing chart
- ISOGG Y-DNA Haplotree with SNP naming prefixes
- IGV BAM File Viewer